- Marvel at more than 2 million artworks on display, including various masterworks from almost all the cultures of the world.
- Enjoy unique works from numerous world-famous artists such as Pablo Picasso, Claude Monet, Cindy Sherman and Mary Cassatt.
- Admire classical and ancient Egyptian antiquities: The Byzantines, The ancient Roman empire, Jewelry of Princess Sit-hathor-yunet of Dynasty 12, and more.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Known by locals as simply “The Met,” The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a New York City landmark that cannot be missed. Located on Manhattan's Upper East Side, The Met is the largest art museum in the United States and one of the most visited museums in the world. Its permanent collection includes over two million significant works of art from all corners of the globe. This gallery features historic works of art that span from Ancient Egypt to the modern age. Additional collections like the Costume Institute and an extensive array of antique armor also prove that The Met is home to captivating artistic pieces of all kinds. Be prepared to spend several hours walking its halls and gazing upon the incredible works of art housed within the iconic building. During your visit, you’ll be treated to a captivating collection that can’t be experienced anywhere else in the world.
Ancient Near Eastern Art
Arts of Africa, Oceania, and the Americas
European Art & Sculpture
Greek & Roman Art
The Anna Wintour Costume Center
The Art and Armor Collection
The Robert Lehman Collection
The Musical Instrument Collection
Did You Know
- This museum is the third most visited art museum and the fifth most visited museum of any kind in the world.
- The longest piece in the museum is a 16th-century Egyptian carpet; the smallest piece is a 1.1-inch cylinder from ancient Mesopotamia that was used for stamping impressions on clay; and the oldest piece is an Iranian storage jar dating back to 3800 to 3700 BCE.
- The museum's collections include about 5000 instruments, and one of them is the world's oldest surviving piano which dates back to 1720.
- The museum takes you nearly through all the historic ages of the world.
Tips for Visitors
- Download The Met's smartphone app, which will help you navigate the vast museum.
- Wear comfortable shoes and plan ahead for your visit, as the museum covers more than 2 million square feet of floor space.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art Details
1000 5th Ave, New York, NY 10028
Hours of Operation:
Sun - Thur 11am - 5:30pm, Fri and Sat 10am - 9pm
Average Visit Duration:
Approx. 4 hours
Hop-On Hop-Off Route:
Uptown & Harlem Hop-On Hop-Off: Stop #24